By Babysits, 7 min read
Do you think that being a babysitter is the right job for you? Are you comfortable changing nappies or cooking meals? Do you enjoy playing games and having fun with children? Take this short babysitting test to prove your knowledge to everyone! Are you ready?
This test consists of 11 questions covering the topic “How to take care of the kids while you are babysitting”. Remember that only one answer is right, so take your time to choose the best one! Before taking this test, get a pen (a pencil is fine as well) and paper to write down the letter corresponding to your answer!
Question 1. You are babysitting a 3 year old girl that wants to play with her toys. How do you react?
- A) You prepare the perfect space to play
- B) You join her by inventing some fantasy
- C) You tell her to play a different game, like for example coloring pages
Question 2. You have arrived at the house where you’ll be babysitting. You are babysitting a 2 year old boy who has never been left with a babysitter before. After the parents leave, the child begins to cry. What do you do?
- A) You comfort him and try to distract him with his toys
- B) You call the parents and ask them what to do
- C) You leave him to cry until he tires out, sometimes kids just need to cry it out
Question 3. The girl you are taking care of wants to show you a Youtube video about her favorite song so you can dance together. What do you think is better to do?
- A) You tell the kid that technology devices are not allowed
- B) You play the song as many times that you want regardless of the noise
- C) Prior to babysitting ask the parents how much screen time is allowed
Question 4. The three kids you are babysitting tonight are beyond cute. You take selfies with them. What do you do?
- A) You don’t post the picture on social media
- B) Send them to the parents to let them know that the kids are doing well
- C) Post them on social media with emoji faces on the kids’ faces
Question 5. It's time for dinner. You are sitting down to eat with the children but one of them is a fussy eater. She keeps her mouth shut and refuses to eat anything. What do you do?
- A) You don't force the kid to eat, but you tell her that she won't get dessert if she doesn't finish what's on the plate
- B) You don't force the kid to eat, but you tell her that she will get an extra portion of dessert if she finishes what's on the plate
- C) You ask the kid to actually taste the food. If she still refuses to eat it, you let her leave the table with the other children
Question 6. You’re looking after a 6-month old baby for the first time. It’s time to feed the baby. How do you heat up the baby bottle?
- A) Put the milk in the bottle and then put the bottle in a bowl with warm water
- B) Heat the milk on the stove and then put it in a bottle
- C) Heat the milk in the microwave and then put it in a bottle
Question 7. The parents are running late and they texted you asking to put the newborn baby to sleep. How do you position the baby?
Question 8. The 6 year old you are taking care of disappeared while you were putting his sister to sleep. You find him in the kitchen with dishwasher soap all over his mouth and hands. What do you do?
- A) Call the parents immediately as they’ll know what to do
- B) Call the emergency services and then the parents
- C) Deal with the situation yourself and try to get the kid to vomit out the soap
Question 9. You are babysitting two siblings, one brother, and one sister and they start to fight. How do you stop them?
- A) You just tell them to stop fighting and call the parents to tell them about the bad behaviour
- B) You call the parents because you don’t know how to handle the situation
- C) You keep them apart and explain to them that it doesn’t matter whose fault it is and try to encourage them to communicate in order to make peace
Question 10. It's the children's bedtime but they don't want to go to sleep yet. What do you do?
- A) You get angry with the children and shout at them to go to bed immediately
- B) You promise to read the children a story if they go to bed
- C) You let the children watch TV in the hopes that they will eventually fall asleep
Question 11. If the kid is bored, what kind of activity do you propose?
- A) You turn on the television and watch his/her favorite cartoon
- B) You ask the kid which activity would he/she like to do it
- C) You propose some creative DIY to do together
Congratulations the test is over!
Check out which kind of babysitter you are:
STUDENT: do not worry if you didn’t get enough correct answers! Babysitting can still be the right job for you, but maybe you need to know a little bit more before looking for a job as a babysitter. Follow our tips for babysitters and learn in advance how to deal with difficult children or how to help a child fall asleep. We provide all kinds of tips.
INTERN: your background is really good, but you need to practice a little bit more to be 100% ready! You are always acting right, but you have to think out of the box. It’s important not just to calm the kids while they are fighting, but also find a way to solve the fight! Look at our article regarding how to be ready to work as babysitter. It can be a good start for your first day as a babysitter!
PROFESSIONAL: you got at least eight of the questions right, which means that babysitting is the right job for you! You are a reliable person and you know how to take care of kids, in each specific situation. What are you waiting for? Sign up now and find the perfect family who is looking for you!
Even if becoming a babysitter might not look like the right job for you, but you are really motivated to learn, you should read some of our Community Resources articles to understand better how to take care of kids:
- 6 tips on how to deal with an unruly child
- 6 Tips for Helping Kids Sleep
- Ideas for entertaining children
Therefore, regardless of your score, you can always learn by following our tips to become an amazing babysitter! If you are motivated, everything is possible!